Friday, March 23, 2007

Spring Break is Here!

My school day is over. A week off. Sort of. I'll have my nephew and niece M-F next week, but it'll probably end up being mainly play. I think I'd still like to keep in mind some activities we could do, especially when the boys get too rowdy! Science stuff is always good. I know dd and ds wanted to make this gloop stuff (cornstarch and water). I'll also focus on reading Dragon Rider with dd, make sure to get some reading time with ds each day and hopefully work on this French book I started reading to dd. Part of me wants to put it away and she can read it when she's older--we thought it was a dragon book when we purchased it and it turned out not to be, so there's a sense of disappointment with it--but something in me is telling me that if I drop the book now, it'll never be read. Because we've already started and there's this little inkling of prejudice against it (for not being a dragon book). So, I think I'll make myself read it to her this week.

Other plans for the week: work on my taxes, work on putting my school receipts together, finish the 16yo's (almost typed 15yo there!) work breakdown for the last 3 months (well, two months, really), read CM books and get some planning done for when school resumes. Oh, and work on resume and letter to send to a school board. Wow. Lots I want to get done! This is the first year that I won't have specific house goals in mind. I want this other stuff to get done. I also had an idea pass through my head the other day and not sure what I hadn't thought of it before. Right now, all my receipts are a disorganized mess. And I haven't been using the Quicken program I purchased last summer. I also realized that I would really like to have some sort of yearly binder or something for the dayhome and a separate one for dealings with the school board. It hit me that I can get some cheap accordion files to keep the stuff in. I saw it so clearly in my head--the dayhome file would have sections for the different receipt categories I need to track and the school board file would have correspondence stuff, ed. plan, receipts, etc.

So, those are my plans and ideas for now. But right now, this instant, I need to go pick up our pizza!

6 comments:

Jane said...

I have been thinking too about this weeks activities...last night I sat and wrote out activity ideas...from books and magazines....and created a folder for them...kind of like when I was homeschooling the older ones....I often read ideas and then forget all about them and Abigail is so bored at home without the older ones....so I need a folder of ideas and activities for her for days like those! She wants to do 'work' and 'crafts' almost constantly and I am strating to run out of ideas...I hope my file of ideas helps!!! I still have all these resources that I am under-using....

Have a wonderful Spring Break Daisy!

One Alberta Voice said...

Sounds like a great plan!

Have you decided what you're doing about Chris and school?

One Alberta Voice said...

Oh, and thanks for the well wishes for Spring Break! Back at you!

Jane said...

About Laurie? No I haven't yet.....we've talked about things and for now he will stay in school....but who knows after the summer........If I could find another boy around his age to homeschool with us then that would be perfect.......in fact that would be my ideal.....I think then he would homeschool for sure......

I have never been anti school or anti homeschool.....I see pros and cons of both....I think for now school is right for Chris and Susie.....and for Abigail too if Susie isn't at home.......but Laurie...I'm not so sure....but I just don't feel happy homeschooling just him.....I'm not sociable enough to homeschool an 'only child' summer wouldn't be so bad but in Winter I tend to hibernate and that wouldn't be fair on him.......

Know anyone who wants their 10 - 13 yr old homeschooled????????? lol!

One Alberta Voice said...

Oh, sorry, I had in my mind it was your oldest who wasn't happy.

Do you know Audrey? She was wanting me to take her ds next year--he'll be grade 9, though, and I'm not sure she'd be willing to drive that far every day!

What is it that 'scares' you (for lack of a better expression) about homeschooling just Laurie?

One Alberta Voice said...

Sorry, just re-read (or rather read properly) your comment. I don't know if hibernating during the winter is necessarily a bad thing. Society seems to push, push, push for socializing, but is it really that necessary? Think of all the pioneers who ventured into the middle of nowhere and lived with nobody nearby.