Saturday, October 20, 2007

The weekend is here

This has been a very odd week. Each day this week I've thought that it was a day later than it should have been, yet I feel like it's 'already' the weekend! Weird.

In any case, since Tuesday, things have still been progressing smoothly. I made mention at one point about how, just to stay even, the oldest should really be working 3-4 hours every day, which means to catch up at least 4 hours a day, but I didn't want there to be huge pressure and for her to be focusing on being behind, so I left it at that. We still have to figure out a way for her to get more work done. We have a very busy week next week, but here's my thinking:
Monday: 2-2.5 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon
Tuesday: same
Wednesday: 2-2.5 hours in the morning; we have an activity in the afternoon
Thursday: 2-2.5 hours in the morning; party in the afternoon
Friday: 2-2.5 hours in the morning; another party in the afternoon

If the minimum of all that gets done, it'll be 14 hours of work, which is an average of almost 3 hours a day--that's actually not bad at all for a week where 3 afternoons are taken up with social stuff! She was actually the one who asked about working in the morning this week, worried that we would have the whole day off and she would get really far behind. I think it'll work.

As for the 13yo, he hasn't done math since Monday I think, but he has been really working on this idea of project/notebooking. He's working more now than he ever has, I think. I must make a point to comment on it. He's becoming more focused, enjoying what he's doing. I *love* it.

Dd has had her fire relit, most of the time. She's got stories going on the laptop and her project in her notebook and the books she's reading and her drawing... I really, really love the change that has happened in our homeschooling. It feels a lot like it did before, when things were going really well.

An interesting thing that came up was that the oldest complained on Friday of how we don't do group 'classes' together anymore. She did a whole melodramatic fake sob of how "we're not a family anymore". Her way of saying she really missed us all doing collective learning activities together. We kind of took Friday off of working (although dd worked on stuff on the laptop) and I read to them from Schooled (GREAT book, btw), and also said we'll have to look at how we can plan more group stuff together.

Right now, though, I've just noticed the time and I've got to get going! We're leaving in 10 minutes for swimming and I'm sitting here in my pj's!!!

No comments: