I'm working out the stuff I need to have ready for this week. Trying to think about social studies, however, left me realizing that for September, it's not very clear in my head what I want dd and the 13yo to do. So what is it that I want them to be learning exactly??
- continent names and locations
- ocean names and locations
- latitude and longitude, plus using that information to find places or writing that information based on a given place
- tie in weather stuff, like the current hurricane
- I had put explorers, but that seems more fitting in the individual continent studies
I'm at a loss as to what I want them to do exactly. How will they learn the continent/ocean names and locations??? I don't want to tell them to simply learn them. Let me brainstorm a bit:
- labelling and colouring world maps (oooooh, I just had an idea: tie it in with different map views and projections! They could have a bunch of different maps to work with--a typical map, one with the Pacific Ocean in the middle, one with the southern hemisphere on top, the different projections whose names I can't think of at the moment.)
- puzzle map for the continents
- continent cards (I have some, somewhere...)
- play games? I think I have a world map somewhere; I could playfully quiz them. We also have a world geography game but I don't think the map on that is according to continents, but it could be used to locate continents.
- I should probably also go over the compass rose with them.