Friday, June 08, 2007

Notebooking

I'd heard of notebooking before but it somehow didn't click until one mom on a list I'm on described in more detail how she'd used them (thanks, Mary!). It's so simple, it's crazy. I couldn't wrap my head around it before, but it feels like it could be the "answer" to my science, and even social studies, "dilemmas".

Here it is: The student has a notebook on a particular topic or theme. In this notebook, they write down facts they find, paste in pictures, draw pictures, write stories/poems, etc. Isn't that easy? The primary differences, for me, although I suppose a person could go about it differently, between this and a regular school notebook, are the idea is to be creative and it's up to the student what they want in it. I guess, in a way, it's kind of like a lapbook/scrapbook, but in notebook form.

I could see using just the cheap little notebooks to start with--the small ones. It would give a great sense of completion to get through the pages and have a final product to share with people.

Just one of my hopeful activities for next year! Here's a link, with even more links on the page, if you're interested in learning more:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/052606.htm

No comments: