Wednesday, July 04, 2007

July 4

It's hubby's birthday today. And Independence Day (which we, of course, don't celebrate not being American and all). And it's officially my second day of summer holidays since Monday was a holiday because of the long weekend. lol. I had been worried about sitting around spending too much time on the computer, but there's just so much to do and places to go that I was silly to have worried about it at all! Now sitting at the computer (or having the laptop on me) is part of my relaxation, not just something to do.

It does mean somewhat that I haven't been following my plans too well, but it's okay--it's summer holidays! :D Ds has done cursive once and dd's done cursive a couple of times; she worked on her x3 tables yesterday and Monday and I'll do a bit with her today. I didn't read an easy book to ds yesterday and he made a point to tell me that I had to read to him today because we hadn't read yesterday. lol. He learned how to read and write "dix" and "six" today. I'll have to try to make sure to review it tomorrow. We also talked about the sound "on" makes in French and made words that I wrote on a small whiteboard, "What will it be if we put m before the on?" and other things like that. It was a nice little session. Dd has been feeling off here and there and has spent most of the day reading.

I had started Plato's The Republic but in clearing out my family room yesterday, which is where I was reading it, I haven't a clue what I did with it! It's certainly a book you have to read when your brain is clear. lol. One could get confused very easily with Socrates' questioning. However, now I don't have to worry about that since it's probably in a stack of stuff that I won't be able to go through for 2 weeks--the carpet in the family room has been ripped out today, dh is going to start the prep work for painting today, we're going to the lake for a couple of days, then finish the prep work on the weekend, then paint early next week, let it dry properly, then on the 16th, the new carpet is being installed. Nothing can go back into the family room until then. Fortunately, I get to have the book out for at least 3 weeks. ;) (Oooh, and don't tell my kids, but we're getting a plasma tv and new sound system delivered on the 18th! They didn't even notice that I didn't give a gift to dh today but it's because he asked for the plasma and sound system as his gifts. Yes, expensive gifts, but not something we do often and something he's been talking about for a few years now.)

So, instead of The Republic, I've started Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's a short book, but it's still a bit of a challenge since I haven't been reading older novels in quite sometime; my brain's having a tough time switching. It also has me realizing that I need to read this book at least a second time (if not a third time) in preparation for the oldest's novel study next school year (she doesn't start English until Feb., so that's okay). I'll also have to find a decent novel guide to really cover this properly. Oh, and I also got out Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, but in German! I've already read the book in English and have a copy to help me out when I get stuck. haha. Haven't started reading it yet. But like I said, I've been busy. I only got it out yesterday, too, so I guess that's another reason. lol.

Other than that, it's starting to feel like summer! The weather is sure showing it and not absolutely having to get a bunch of things done is nice.

No comments: