Thursday, June 29, 2006

A year is done

Our school year is done. I had the 10yo for the last time yesterday and could not help but break down after she left. I hope things go well for her in school. (Although, her mother said that if it went really poorly, she'd make the hour-plus-long drive to school each morning and then again after school each morning!)

And yet, it's just the school year that is done. My children's learning isn't. Dd has pulled out her writing folder and has said that we 'have to' have a set time for Writers' Workshop again because she's not getting her stories done and that she wants daily exercise, particularly stretching. It's time like these when I feel I've done something right in my Montessori implementation that she would choose these types of work. Without me even insisting that she work. It's also times like these when I see how much Montessori resembles unschooling. While Montessori does require work and the directress to present a lot of things to each child, it's the child who chooses his route, for the most part.

I think it's going to be a great summer. :)

No comments: