Friday, March 12, 2010

Two posts in a week!

It's practically a miracle! ;)

So, my prediction about my son doing the typing didn't pan out, but we have had a couple of weird days. Or rather, just days focused more on helping Bob get some of his work done and submitted. Then we were out all afternoon yesterday, had kung fu in the evening--where dd somehow got knocked, she slipped backwards and ending up hitting her head on the hard floor. Of course, my mind thinking of Natasha Richardson and how what seemed to be a nothing thing ended up in her death, I got home and looked up all kinds of things about concussions and what to do. Kept her awake for a couple of hours and other than a very mild headache, she was fine. Phew.

Today, hm, well, I'm tired and can't remember. I have decided that I need to get back into journalling. My "Montessori progress" was so much better when I took the time at the end of each day to reflect on the day, the good points, the bad points, thoughts, feelings, what I'd like to do differently, etc. I haven't been doing any homeschool-inspiring reading (Montessori or other) and would like to take that up again. Things are going reasonably well, but I'd like them to be even better! I especially want to be more consistent with my 5yo niece--she's so capable and loves learning. Might as well take advantage of it while I've got her with me! (She's heading off to full-time kindergarten in the fall. *sniff sniff*)

I remember something from today: My 2yo niece, in Planet Organic. She was tired and wanted to cling only to me, but it wasn't practical as I had things in my hands and she was okay for a while about holding someone else's hand, but then, bam. She just stood there and did a sort of faux whiny thing towards me. I knew part of her was concerned about the strangers around; at the same time, she'd turn her back on any of the kids who went to offer their hands. I left her there, going up and down aisles with somebody always watching her. She didn't cry, nothing. Just stood there. For at least 5-10 minutes. I thought for sure she'd come, but she didn't! I ended up going behind her to nudge her forward, and I thought she'd seen me, but she must have been so hyper focused on the spot in front of her, I ended up scaring her a bit and that's when she ended up crying. *sigh* Poor thing! The whole time, I was trying to figure out what the best thing to do with her would be. And yes, the thought of, "What would Maria Montessori recommend?" I had interpreted her initial actions as a stubborn 2yo wanting things her way, but I'm not so sure anymore. Ah well. She just stared at me during the ride home--until she fell asleep, that is. After her nap, all seemed to have been forgiven. Good thing toddlers bounce back quickly. ;)

No comments: